The following are local services provided by community organisations and other agencies.
Advice and support
- Citizens Advice – national website with advice on benefits, work, debt, consumer rights, family, housing, law, immigration and health.
- Citizens Advice Taunton – charity providing free, confidential and impartial advice.
- Community SpeedWatch – local people being actively involved in road safety.
- Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group (South West) – A charity representing the region’s farmers and landowners in the delivery of wildlife conservation.
- Forestry Commission – Government department responsible for protecting, expanding and promoting the sustainable management of woodlands.
- Police – neighbourhood teams listen and act on local concerns: most of our ward is covered by the Wellington North team; Brompton Ralph, Clatworthy, Huish Champflower, Skilgate and Upton are covered by the Exmoor team.
- Mindline Somerset – emotional support helpline.
- Turn2us – helps people in financial need gain access to benefits and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through partner organisations.
- Village Agent – advice on access to information and services for those in need.
- Wivey Cares – providing local care and support for those who need it.
- Wivey Food Bank – a satellite from the Taunton Food Bank at The Silver Street Centre in Wiveliscombe.
- Wivey Food Project – Cooks healthy, nutritious meals for our community using surplus, top quality food from Fareshare.
- Wiveliscombe & 10 Parishes Business Group – includes local directory.
- Business support from Heart of South West Local Economic Partnership.
Housing and assistance
- Housing in Somerset West and Taunton
- Homefinder Somerset – find an affordable home to rent within Somerset.
- Lendology – non-profit making loan provider working with local authorities to provide direct loans for private home improvements, including disability adaptations and energy efficiency, landlord repairs, and empty property regeneration.
- Somerset Independence Plus – integrated service to help disabled and vulnerable people live safely in their homes, including assessments, advice, adaptations, repairs and improvements, including heating and insulation.
- Bus routes in Western Somerset – map produced by Taunton and Wellington Transition Towns.
- One.network – local information and notices for road closures.
- Travel Somerset – information for travelling by car, rail, air, bus, bike and foot.
- Traveline South West – comprehensive public transport information.
- Wivey Link – community transport service open to all, who, for whatever reason, have no access to transport (public or private), and to those residents who are chronically sick or disabled.