We live in an area with council services split across two principal tiers: Somerset West and Taunton (District) Council and Somerset County Council. Somerset Waste Partnership manages recycling and waste services for both authorities. In addition, there are town and parish councils, who represent their communities and can provide supplementary local services, and there are community organisations also providing important services. Details, including websites and contacts, are given below.
Main services and responsibilities:
- Recycling and waste collections (contact if missed and for bins).
- Litter and street cleansing.
- Noise, smoke and other nuisances.
- Planning, including applications, enforcement and plans.
- Housing, including sheltered and council housing.
- Deane helpline – home emergency alarm service.
- Council Tax and Business Rates
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
- Car Parks, including charges and permits.
- Cemeteries and crematorium.
- Leisure, parks and open spaces.
- Business advice and support.
- Environmental health and food safety.
- Sandbags for property at imminent risk of flooding.
- Elections and voting.
See website for information, contact details and online ordering.
Main services and responsibilities:
- Roads and transport, includes on-street parking and rights of way.
- Adult social care, including for people with care and support needs.
- Children’s services, including safeguarding, getset, children’s centres and adoption.
- Education, including adult learning and school transport.
- Libraries, heritage and museums.
- Births, marriages and deaths registration.
- Recycling Centres and waste disposal.
- Health and wellbeing, including mental health, smoking and sexual health.
- Emergencies and flooding.
- Trading standards, consumer testing and scientific services.
- Animal welfare, including dead animals on highway that may be a hazard.
- Somerset intelligence, including statistics and reports on Somerset.
The two County Councillors for our area are: Cllr James Hunt (Upper Tone division which includes parishes of Ashbrittle, Bathealton, Chipstable, Fitzhead, Stawley and Wiveliscombe town) and Cllr Frances Nicholson (Dulverton and Exmoor division which includes parishes of Brompton Ralph, Clatworthy, Huish Champflower, Skilgate and Upton).
- Recycling and waste collections from your home.
- Recycling Centres (nearest at Taunton and Wellington).
- Guidance on reduction and reuse, hazardous waste and business waste.
See website for information or contact Councils for enquiries and service requests.
Parish and Town Councils
Provide supplementary community
services and represent their areas.
Ashbrittle Parish Council
Bathealton Parish Council
Brompton Ralph Parish Council
Chipstable Parish Council
Clatworthy Parish Council
Fitzhead Parish Council
Huish Champflower Parish Council
Skilgate Parish Council
Stawley Parish Council
Upton Parish Council
Wiveliscombe Town Council
Community organisations and other links for local services
Affordable and Social Housing
Business support from Heart of South West Local Economic Partnership
Citizens Advice Taunton
Connecting Devon and Somerset (rural broadband)
Handihelp Service (small repairs and jobs around your home)
Travel Somerset (information for travelling by car, rail, air, bus, walking and cycling)
Village Agent (easier access to information and services)
Wessex Resolutions (non-profit making loan provider working with local authorities to provide loans direct to homeowners for essential home repairs or improvements)
Wiveliscombe Area Partnership and Wivey Link (community transport, annual street market and carnival, 10 Parishes festival and community office)
Wiveliscombe Area Website (events, businesses, clubs, parish and town councils)
Wivey Cares (providing local care and support for those who need it)