We live in an area with council services split across two principal tiers: Somerset West and Taunton (District) Council and Somerset County Council. Somerset Waste Partnership manages recycling and waste services for both authorities. The Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership is a business-led partnership between the private sector, local authorities, universities and colleges.
Town and parish councils are smaller local councils, who provide additional representation for their communities, alongside district and county councillors, and some supplementary local services.
There are also many local community organisations providing important services.
Details and contacts for local councils and organisations are given below.
Main services and responsibilities:
- Recycling and waste collections (contact if missed and for bins).
- Litter and street cleansing.
- Noise, smoke and other nuisances.
- Planning, including applications, enforcement and plans.
- Housing options and homelessness, including sheltered and council housing.
- Deane helpline – home emergency alarm service.
- Council Tax and Business Rates
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
- Car Parks, including charges and permits.
- Cemeteries and crematorium.
- Leisure, parks and open spaces.
- Business advice and support.
- Environmental health and food safety.
- Sandbags for property at imminent risk of flooding.
- Elections and voting.
See website for information, contact details and online ordering.
Main services and responsibilities:
- Roads and transport, includes on-street parking and rights of way.
- Adult social care, including for people with care and support needs.
- Children’s services, including safeguarding, getset, children’s centres and adoption.
- Education, including adult learning and school transport.
- Libraries, heritage and museums.
- Births, marriages and deaths registration.
- Recycling Centres and waste disposal.
- Health and wellbeing, including mental health, smoking and sexual health.
- Emergencies and flooding.
- Trading standards, consumer testing and scientific services.
- Animal welfare, including dead animals on highway that may be a hazard.
- Somerset intelligence, including statistics and reports on Somerset.
The two County Councillors for our area are: Cllr James Hunt (Upper Tone division which includes parishes of Ashbrittle, Bathealton, Chipstable, Fitzhead, Stawley and Wiveliscombe town) and Cllr Frances Nicholson (Dulverton and Exmoor division which includes parishes of Brompton Ralph, Clatworthy, Huish Champflower, Skilgate and Upton).
- Recycling and waste collections from your home.
- Recycling Centres (nearest at Taunton and Wellington).
- Guidance on reduction and reuse, hazardous waste and business waste.
See website for information or contact Councils for enquiries and service requests.
Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership
This business-led partnership covers Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay. It determines local economic priorities and allocates funding from a number of Government grants and programmes. See website for details.
Parish and Town Councils
Provide supplementary local services and represent their areas.
- Ashbrittle Parish Council
- Bathealton Parish Council
- Brompton Ralph Parish Council
- Chipstable Parish Council
- Clatworthy Parish Council
- Fitzhead Parish Council
- Huish Champflower Parish Council
- Skilgate Parish Council
- Stawley Parish Council
- Upton Parish Council
- Wiveliscombe Town Council
Community organisations and other links for local services
ADVICE & SUPPORT
- Citizens Advice – national website with advice on benefits, work, debt, consumer rights, family, housing, law, immigration and health.
- Citizens Advice Taunton – charity providing free, confidential and impartial advice.
- Police – neighbourhood teams listen and act on local concerns: most of our ward is covered by the Wellington North team; Brompton Ralph, Clatworthy, Huish Champflower, Skilgate and Upton are covered by the Exmoor team.
- Mindline Somerset – emotional support helpline.
- Turn2us – helps people in financial need gain access to benefits and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through partner organisations.
- Village Agent – advice on access to information and services for those in need.
- Wivey Cares – providing local care and support for those who need it.
- Wivey Foodbank – a satellite from the Taunton Foodbank at The Silver Street Centre in Wiveliscombe.
- Wiveliscombe & 10 Parishes Business Group – includes local directory.
- Business support from Heart of South West Local Economic Partnership.
HOUSING & ASSISTANCE
- Council and Social Housing in Somerset West and Taunton
- Homefinder Somerset – find a home to rent within Somerset.
- Handihelp Service – small repairs and jobs around your home.
- Somerset Independence Plus – integrated service to help disabled and vulnerable people live safely in their homes, including assessments, advice and adaptations.
- Wessex Resolutions – non-profit making loan provider working with local authorities to provide direct loans for essential home repairs or improvements.
- Travel Somerset – information for travelling by car, rail, air, bus, walking and cycling.
- Traveline South West – comprehensive public transport information across Great Britain.
- Wivey Link – community transport service open to all, who, for whatever reason, have no access to transport (public or private), and to those residents who are chronically sick or disabled.
- Wiveliscombe Area Partnership – community office, annual street market and carnival, and 10 Parishes festival.
- Wiveliscombe Area Website – local events, businesses, clubs, services, and parish and town councils.