The following are local services provided by community organisations and other public agencies, some with funding or support from the council or government. Also see Council services.
Advice and support
- Citizens Advice – national website with advice on benefits, work, debt, consumer rights, scams, insurance, family, housing, law, immigration, health and lots more.
- Citizens Advice Taunton – charity providing free, confidential and impartial advice.
- Police – neighbourhood teams listen and act on local concerns: our area is covered by the Wellington North team. Crime and incidents can be reported online.
- Somerset Community Foundation – inspiring giving and funding charities.
- Somerset Community Credit Union – saving and loans for members.
- Somerset Volunteering – Council website with information on volunteering opportunities.
- Spark Somerset – Information, advice, training and support to the voluntary and community sector in Somerset. Also provide Spark a Change – a digital volunteering platform for Somerset.
- Turn2us – helps people in financial need gain access to benefits and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through partner organisations.
- Village Agent – advice on access to information and services for those in need.
- Wivey Food Bank – a satellite from the Taunton Food Bank at The Silver Street Centre in Wiveliscombe.
- Wivey Food Project – cooks healthy, nutritious meals for our community using surplus, top quality food from Fareshare. Also on Facebook.
- Wiveliscombe & 10 Parishes Business Group – includes local directory.
- Business support from Heart of South West Local Economic Partnership.
Education and special needs
- Somerset Parent Carer Forum – An independent voice to ensure all children have the best chance in life and receive the correct support and services to achieve their full potential. The forum runs regular coffee mornings, information events and training sessions, and publishes a newsletter and resources for parent carers and local service providers.
- Somerset SENDIAS – Information, advice and support about special educational needs and disability (SEND) for parent carers, children and young people (up to the age of 25). The service is free, confidential and impartial.
Environment and farming
- Environment Agency
- Farming & Wildlife Advisory Group (South West) – A charity representing the region’s farmers and landowners in the delivery of wildlife conservation.
- Forestry Commission – Government department responsible for protecting, expanding and promoting the sustainable management of woodlands.
- Flooding – Somerset Prepared + how to plan ahead.
- Hills to Levels – A natural approach to ‘slow the flow’ in water catchments across Somerset to reduce flood risk and deliver environmental benefits. Information on natural flood management and funding support to farmers and landowners.
Health and social care
- Somerset Domestic Abuse Support helpline: 0800 69 49 999
- Lister House Surgery
- Lister House Patient Group
- Mindline Somerset – emotional support helpline.
- NHS Somerset
- NHS every mind matters – look after your mental wellbeing.
- Somerset health services
- Somerset health and wellbeing – Somerset Council public health.
- Somerset Integrated Care System – Brings NHS organisations, the council, public services as well as voluntary and community partners together to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone in Somerset.
- Wivey Cares – providing local care and support for those who need it.
- Lendology – non-profit making loan provider working with local authorities to provide direct loans for private home improvements, including disability adaptations and energy efficiency, landlord repairs, and empty property regeneration.
- Somerset Independent Living Centres (Wellington) – Equipment and technology to make life easier and to help you keep safe and independent.
- Somerset Independence Plus – integrated service to help disabled and vulnerable people live safely in their homes, including assessments, advice, adaptations, repairs and improvements, including heating and insulation.
- Wivey Cares – local micro-providers providing care and support in your home.
- Bus routes in Western Somerset – map produced by Taunton and Wellington Transition Towns.
- Buses of Somerset – network maps and timetables
- Bustimes.org – best website for bus timetables and tracking bus locations in real time.
- Avon and Somerset Police: Report an accident or incident on the road – Reporting is important as the council monitors this data for recommending safety improvements.
- Somerset walking and cycling maps
- Somerset Road Safety – includes links to register collisions and incidents on the road, including a near miss, cycling or horse related incidents, anti-social driving, drink and drug driving and illegal use of a public right of way.
- Community SpeedWatch – local people actively involved in road safety.
- Think Travel – journey planner for public and community transport in Somerset.
- Wivey Link – community transport service open to all, who, for whatever reason, have no access to transport (public or private), and to those residents who are chronically sick or disabled.
- One.network – local information and notices for road closures (zoom in on map to view local area).
- Traveline South West – comprehensive public transport information.
Wiveliscombe and the 10 Parishes
- Wiveliscombe Area Partnership – community office, annual street market and carnival, and 10 Parishes festival.
- Wiveliscombe Area Website – local events, businesses, clubs, services, and parish and town councils.
- Wiveliscombe news, information and employment – Facebook page
- 10 Parishes Community Support – Facebook page