Local services are currently provided by several different tiers of local government.
We live in an area with the main council services split across two principal tiers: Somerset West and Taunton (District) Council and Somerset County Council. This will change from April 2023 when a single new Somerset Council will replace the current county and district councils.
Somerset Waste Partnership manages recycling and waste services for both authorities.
The Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership is a business-led partnership between the private sector, local authorities, universities and colleges.
Town and parish councils are smaller local councils, who provide additional representation for their communities, alongside district and county councillors, and some supplementary local services.
Details and contacts are given below. Also see community services.
Main services and responsibilities:
- Recycling and waste collections (contact if missed and for bins).
- Litter and street cleansing.
- Noise, smoke and other nuisances.
- Planning, including applications, enforcement and plans.
- Housing options and homelessness, including sheltered and council housing.
- Deane helpline – home emergency alarm service.
- Council Tax and Business Rates
- Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.
- Car Parks, including charges and permits.
- Cemeteries and crematorium.
- Leisure, parks and open spaces.
- Business advice and support.
- Environmental health and food safety.
- Sandbags for property at imminent risk of flooding.
- Elections and voting.
See website for information, contact details and online ordering.
Main services and responsibilities:
- Roads and transport, includes on-street parking and rights of way.
- Adult social care, including for people with care and support needs.
- Children’s services, including safeguarding, getset, children’s centres and adoption.
- Education, including adult learning and school transport.
- Libraries, heritage and museums.
- Births, marriages and deaths registration.
- Recycling Centres and waste disposal.
- Health and wellbeing, including mental health, smoking and sexual health.
- Emergencies and flooding.
- Trading standards, consumer testing and scientific services.
- Animal welfare, including dead animals on highway that may be a hazard.
- Somerset intelligence, including statistics and reports on Somerset.
County Councillors for our area are: Cllr Dave Mansell and Cllr Gwil Wren (Upper Tone division which covers parishes of Ashbrittle, Bathealton, Bradford-on-Tone, Chipstable, Fitzhead, Halse, Langford Budville, Milverton, Nynehead, Oake, Sampford Arundel, Stawley, Wellington Without and Wiveliscombe town) and Cllr Frances Nicholson and Cllr Steven Pugsley (Dulverton and Exmoor division which includes parishes of Brompton Ralph, Clatworthy, Huish Champflower, Skilgate and Upton). See other division councillors.
- Recycling and waste collections from your home.
- Recycling Centres (nearest at Taunton and Wellington).
- Guidance on reduction and reuse, hazardous waste and business waste.
See website for information or contact Councils for enquiries and service requests.
Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership
This business-led partnership covers Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay. It determines local economic priorities and allocates funding from a number of Government grants and programmes. See website for details.
Parish and Town Councils
Parish and town councils represent their areas and can provide supplementary local services to those provided by the principal councils.
As county councillors, Councillors Dave Mansell and Gwil Wren represent the following parishes in the Upper Tone division:
- Ashbrittle Parish Council
- Bathealton Parish Council
- Bradford-on-Tone Parish Council
- Chipstable Parish Council
- Fitzhead Parish Council
- Halse Parish Council
- Langford Budville Parish Council
- Milverton Parish Council
- Oake Parish Council
- Nynehead Parish Council
- Sampford Arundel Parish Council
- Stawley Parish Council
- Wellington Without Parish Council
- Wiveliscombe Town Council
As district councillors, Councillors Dave Mansell and Mark Blaker represent the following parishes in the Wiveliscombe and District ward: