A planning application has been submitted for a mixed use development of housing and light industry units at Sandys Moor, off Taunton Road in Wiveliscombe. See report for details and how to submit comments to Taunton Deane Borough Council.
On current evidence, I have the following views on this proposal:
- Sandys Moor should be retained for business use development only. The site has not been allocated for housing in TDBC’s Local Plan.
- The developers claim that housing should be allowed because business-use applications have not been made for the site; but, at the current time, planning permission has been given at Sandys Moor for a new Enterprise Centre, which is due to be built soon, to EPS Saws, who plan to move into the old abattoir and to Brendon Powerwashers, who are currently building new units to expand. So new business-use applications are being submitted and approved for Sandys Moor, and more may follow, especially with these developments underway or due to proceed soon.
- Conflict could arise from the close proximity of housing and industrial units, including from noise and vehicle movements.
- Housing at Sandys Moor would be in addition to the extra 200 houses already allocated in Wiveliscombe at sites off Styles Road (completed), Burges Lane (application submitted) and Croft Way (no application yet submitted).
- Infrastructure in Wiveliscombe, including schools, doctors surgery and parking, is already under pressure and this would increase with additional housing on top of the amount already planned.
- If there is not a clear business use need for the whole Sandys Moor site, then this planning policy should be reconsidered. A habitat survey has shown that part of the former abattoir site would make a great nature reserve, which would be a welcome addition to Wiveliscombe.
See report for further information and how to submit comments online to TDBC. This includes results of a survey on your views.